Covenant Presbyterian Church came into being thanks to the vision of the denomination’s leadership, as well as the generosity of other Presbyterians in providing funds—at both local and national levels.
In 1947, the Los Angeles Presbytery appointed the Rev. Lloyd Halverson to survey the area of North Inglewood and Westchester, and he spent many weeks on house-to-house calls. As the future congregation came together, a steering committee was organized in February 1948. Just weeks later, Covenant’s first worship service and church school classes were held at the Westchester Christian Church on February 22, 1948. Covenant was officially recognized as a church, on May 23, 1948. In 1963, Covenant opened their Preschool, which is still in operation 57 years later. Throughout the years, Covenant has taken a stand on social justice issues such as Project Action, United Farm Workers Ministry, and the Fair Housing Act of 1968. We support and partner with organizations such as the Food Pantry LAX, Westchester Mental Health Guild, Habitat for Humanity. We engage in various mission and outreach activities as our members bring these opportunities to us. Throughout the years, Covenant has generously shared its facilities with the community for Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, 12 Step Programs and many others.